- Title: Pope Francis to visit Mozambique, Mauritius and Madagascar
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WOMAN HOLDING UP CRUCIFIX AND SINGING VARIOUS OF POPE SITTING ON STAGE POPE KISSING BABY AT NALUKOLONGO CHARITABLE CENTRE FOR DISABLED AND ELDERLY VARIOUS OF POPE GREETING PERSON ON FLOOR BANGUI, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (FILE - NOVEMBER 30, 2015) (REUTERS) POPE IN POPE MOBILE ARRIVING AT CENTRAL BANGUI'S PK5 MOSQUE IN BESIEGED MUSLIM ENCLAVE GIRLS CHANTING POPE WALKING WITH IMAM AND ENTERING MOSQUE EXTERIOR OF MOSQUE POPE SPEAKING INSIDE MOSQUE BANGUI, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (FILE - NOVEMBER 30, 2015) (REUTERS) POPE ON POPE MOBILE CROWDS GATHERED POPE STEPPING OFF POPEMOBILE CROWD CHEERING POPE READING AT MASS PEOPLE ATTENDING MASS POPE SHAKING HANDS WITH BISHOPS AND OFFICIALS CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC AND VATICAN FLAGS ON AIRCRAFT POPE GOING UP AIRCRAFT STAIRS, WAVING
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 08:00
- Keywords: Pope Francis Africa visit papal visit Kenya Pope Uganda Pope Central African Republic Pope pope mobile Pope John Paul II
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA/ ENTEBBE AND KAMPALA, UGANDA/ BANGUI, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC/ BEIRA, MOZAMBIQUE/ ANTANANARIVO AND FIANARANTSOA, MADAGASCAR/
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA/ ENTEBBE AND KAMPALA, UGANDA/ BANGUI, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC/ BEIRA, MOZAMBIQUE/ ANTANANARIVO AND FIANARANTSOA, MADAGASCAR/
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005AUZDOHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Pope Francis will make his fourth trip to Africa when he visits Mozambique, Mauritius and Madagascar from 4-10 of September 2019.
Pope Francis will travel to Mozambique's capital, Maputo on the 4th then on to Antananarivo, Madagascar on Saturday 7th and Port Louis, Mauritius on Monday 9th of September according to the Vatican.
Mozambique is recovering from deadly cyclones in March that prompted devastating floods in one of the worst weather-related disasters to hit the southern hemisphere.
The Pope's last visit to sub-Saharan Africa was in 2015 when he travelled to Kenya, Uganda and Central African Republic.
The trip took place under high security as the head of the Catholic Church travelled to Kenya and Uganda, both recent victims of Islamist militant attacks, and the Central African Republic, a country torn apart by Muslim-Christian strife.
Pope John Paul II is the only previous pontiff to have visited Mozambique, Mauritius and Madagascar in 1988-1989.
(Production: Nina Hodgson)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None