- Title: U.S. Vice President Pence calls for vigilance about Russia
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: WARSAW, POLAND (SEPTEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) U.S. VICE PRESIDENT MIKE PENCE AND POLISH PRESIDENT ANDRZEJ DUDA ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. VICE PRESIDENT, MIKE PENCE, SAYING: "With its efforts to meddle in elections across Europe and around the world, now is the time for us to remain vigilant about the intentions and the actions being taken by Russia." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS / AUDIO OF JOURNALIST ASKING (English): "Did you challenge President Duda on his record on judicial independence?" (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. VICE PRESIDENT, MIKE PENCE, SAYING: "We talked about the importance of judicial independence and the rule of law. As I told President Duda, we are grateful for his commitment to strengthening the foundations of the rule of law in Poland. It is right and just, but it also, we believe, is the surest way to encourage greater foreign direct investment, and we are grateful for the president's leadership in that regard and encourage him to pursue even greater steps to advance judicial independence in Poland." PEOPLE STANDING DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. VICE PRESIDENT, MIKE PENCE, SAYING: "Poland is nearing the eligibility for the visa waiver programme, and we anticipate by the end of this month we will have assembled all of the information on what American law requires, which is that less than 3 percent visa application are denied. We believe we are on track for that but I don't wanna go ahead of that announcement. But assuming that we are able to certify that by the end of this month that any time thereafter, the secretary of state will be in a position to nominate Poland for the visa waiver programme." POLISH AND U.S. FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Polish) POLISH PRESIDENT, ANDRZEJ DUDA, SAYING: "Polish security services have conducted and are conducting activities in this regard, and they detected actions which may be qualified as actions of an espionage character. And the Polish services here will take the necessary steps." PEOPLE LISTENING TO NEWS CONFERENCE DUDA AND PENCE LEAVING PODIUM AND POSING FOR PHOTO WHILST SHAKING HANDS PEOPLE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE DUDA AND PENCE WITH WIVES LEAVING PRESIDENTIAL PALACE AND SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 14:27
- Keywords: Mike Pence Andrzej Duda U.S. Poland Pence calls for vigilance over Russian election meddling elections
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUYSE2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It is necessary to remain alert to Russian interference in elections around the world, U.S. Vice President Michael Pence said on Monday (September 2) in Warsaw.
During a news conference with Polish President Andrzej Duda on his two-day trip to Poland, Pence also said there was the intention of the U.S. administration to nominate Poland for the visa waiver programme by the end of September.
Referring to Chinese mobile phone manufacturer Huawei, which faces intense international scrutiny over U.S.-led allegations, Duda said Polish counter-intelligence services had detected what could be Chinese espionage activities on its territory.
He added that prosecutors are analysing the information they receive and if they decide to go ahead with a prosecution, then the courts will decide on the matter.
(Production: David Chkhikvishvili, Malgorzata Wojtunik, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None