- Title: Bodies scattered everywhere, says survivor of Yemen prison attack
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: HOSPITAL / SIGN READING (Arabic): "Dhamar General Hospital Authority" VARIOUS OF COVERED BODIES BODY BAGS ON GROUND MEN CARRYING COFFIN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) BROTHER OF PRISONER, AHMED NASSER, SAYING: "We heard the news the day before yesterday, at midnight, that they hit (bombed) the Community Academy Prison. My brother was imprisoned inside. I moved in the morning, and have been here since yesterday. We arrived at the Community Academy Prison and I don't know whether my brother escaped from prison at the time of the bombing or if he is under the rubble right now, or if he is in the morgue. We don't know, and we are now at the Dhamar hospital, waiting to hear if he is in the morgue or is injured or unheard of." NURSE HELPING INJURED AT HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF INJURED LYING IN HOSPITAL BEDS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) INJURED PRISONER, KHALED HASSAN, SAYING: "We are here at the hospital. Our total number is 100, and we are here no more than 20. God knows where the rest are. Bodies are scattered everywhere, all over the valleys." VARIOUS OF INJURED PATIENTS AT HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) INJURED PRISONER, ASSEM MOHAMED, SAYING: "The first strike came with the plane. I was by the window. I then went under the window, as the walls came tumbling down my back. There were eight people in the room, and a total of 100. After the air strikes, after about half an hour to an hour, they came to rescue people in the rooms, yelling. I was yelling from underneath the rubble. They came and removed the rubble." VARIOUS OF DOCTOR GIVING FLUIDS TO PATIENT VARIOUS OF INJURED PATIENTS IN HOSPITAL DOCTOR WALKING THROUGH HALL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HEALTH WORKER IN EMERGENCY ROOM, MAGED AL-FADLY, SAYING: "In the first 15 minutes, we received people with severe injuries. Then they were followed by ambulances carrying several wounded. They were received by the hospital and by the doctors at the authority. The hospital was full. Every 10 minutes anther ambulance would arrive. The hospital was full and the emergency room was packed with the wounded." DOCTOR TALKING TO PEOPLE IN HALLWAY PEOPLE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL CARS DRIVING BY HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 19:31
- Keywords: Yemen Dhamar attack prison attack survivo attakc prisoners speaking about Dhamar raids Saudi coalition
- Location: DHAMAR, YEMEN
- City: DHAMAR, YEMEN
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA003AUYV03R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT
Survivors of an air strike on a prison in Yemen in which the Red Cross said at least 100 people were killed spoke about the moment the raid took place.
Several people injured in the attack lay wounded at Dhamar's General Hospital on Monday (September 2), as rescue workers recovered bodies from underneath the rubble.
The raid by Saudi-led coalition in the southwest of the country killed at least 100 people, an official from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said.
The Houthi-controlled health ministry said 50 others were injured.
According to the Houthis, the targeted prison housed about 170 prisoners who had been captured while fighting. The prisoners were about to be released in a few days in a prisoner swap.
Saudi Arabia has been leading an Arab military coalition against Iran-allied Houthis in Yemen for more than four years, in support of the internationally-recognised government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
(Production: Abdulrahman Ansi, Ahmed Ansi, Tarek Fahmy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None