- Title: Bodies scattered everywhere, says survivor of Yemen prison attack
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: DHAMAR, YEMEN (SEPTEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) RED CRESCENT RESCUE WORKERS AT DEMOLISHED SITE RED CRESCENT RESCUE WORKERS / BULLDOZER CARRYING RUBBLE
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 19:31
- Keywords: Yemen Dhamar attack prison attack survivo attakc prisoners speaking about Dhamar raids Saudi coalition
- Location: DHAMAR, YEMEN
- City: DHAMAR, YEMEN
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUYV03R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT
Survivors of an air strike on a prison in Yemen in which the Red Cross said at least 100 people were killed spoke about the moment the raid took place.
Several people injured in the attack lay wounded at Dhamar's General Hospital on Monday (September 2), as rescue workers recovered bodies from underneath the rubble.
The raid by Saudi-led coalition in the southwest of the country killed at least 100 people, an official from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said.
The Houthi-controlled health ministry said 50 others were injured.
According to the Houthis, the targeted prison housed about 170 prisoners who had been captured while fighting. The prisoners were about to be released in a few days in a prisoner swap.
Saudi Arabia has been leading an Arab military coalition against Iran-allied Houthis in Yemen for more than four years, in support of the internationally-recognised government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
(Production: Abdulrahman Ansi, Ahmed Ansi, Tarek Fahmy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None