- Title: Burkina Faso coup leaders given lengthy jail sentences
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: OUAGADOUGOU, BURKINA FASO (SEPTEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) BUS ARRIVING WITH PEOPLE ON TRIAL TO HEAR VERDICT BUS FOLLOWED BY MILITARY SECURITY LAWYERS ENTERING COURT ROOM INTERIOR OF COURT ROOM AND LAWYERS BEFORE VERDICT IS READ PEOPLE SITTING INSIDE COURT BROTHER OF BURKINA FASO'S COUP LEADER GENERAL GILBERT DIENDERE, DOMINIQUE DIENDERE, SITTING IN COURT (FAR RIGHT) LAWYERS TALKING BEFORE START OF VERDICT
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 17:32
- Keywords: Gilbert Diendere Djibril Bassole failed coup 2015 trial
- Location: OUAGADOUGOU, BURKINA FASO
- City: OUAGADOUGOU, BURKINA FASO
- Country: Burkina Faso
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUYUO93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two senior allies of Burkina Faso's deposed former president Blaise Compaore were sentenced to 10 and 20 years in prison respectively on Monday (September 2) for organising a 2015 coup attempt against a transitional government.
In 2015 protesters, angered by Compaore's attempt to change the constitution to extend his 27-year rule, forced him to flee the West African nation in 2014. He now lives in exile in neighbouring Ivory Coast.
Troops from the elite Presidential Security Regiment under the command of General Gilbert Diendere, Compaore's right-hand man, took members of the transitional government hostage less than a month before elections the following year.
The week-long power grab failed, but 14 people were killed and more than 250 others were wounded as they attempted to resist the putsch.
Diendere was found guilty of murder and breach of state security and handed a 20-year prison term. Compaore's former foreign minister Djibril Bassole, who was accused of being the coup's mastermind, was also sentenced to 10 years in prison for treason.
Diendere's lawyer said he would discuss a possible appeal with his client.
Coup victims and representatives of families who lost relatives in the 2015 attempted overthrow said justice was finally done.
(Production: Thiam Ndiaga, Yvonne Bell, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None