- Title: Zimbabwe president declares Mugabe a national hero
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: HARARE, ZIMBABWE (SEPTEMBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRESIDENT OF ZIMBABWE, EMMERSON MNANGAGWA, SAYING: "ZANU-PF - the party which the late departed helped found, has met and accorded him national hero status which he richly deserves." (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRESIDENT OF ZIMBABWE, EMMERSON MNANGAGWA, SAYING: "As we await the arrival of the remains of our dear departed icon, we pray that the good Lord grant him mercies putting his dear soul to eternal rest. We as Zimbabweans declare days of mourning for our leader until he is buried." (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRESIDENT OF ZIMBABWE, EMMERSON MNANGAGWA, SAYING: "The late departed icon will be eternally remembered and honoured for the bold and historic land reform programme which he undertook. Through this programme indigenous Zimbabweans regained their long-denied land rights to complete their sovereignty. For that he was especially vilified, shunned and punished by those who stood to lose from an end to colonial rights and from a just reaccession of African rights."
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 18:01
- Keywords: zimbabwe robert mugabe national hero days of mourning Emmerson Mnangagwa
- Location: HARARE, ZIMBABWE
- City: HARARE, ZIMBABWE
- Country: Zimbabwe
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AVIU2X3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Zimbabwe declared Robert Mugabe a national hero on Friday (September 6), President Emmerson Mnangagwa said, and the country would be in national mourning until the former leader was buried.
Mugabe, the bush war guerrilla who led Zimbabwe to independence and crushed his foes during nearly four decades of rule as his country descended into poverty, hyperinflation and unrest, died on Friday. He was 95.
He was one of the most polarising figures in his continent's history, a giant of African liberation, whose rule finally ended in ignominy when he was overthrown by his own army. He died in Singapore, where he had long received medical treatment.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None