- Title: Two migrants evacuated from Sea-Eye rescue ship
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: AT SEA (SEPTEMBER 5, 2019) (REUTERS) MIGRANT BEING CHECKED BY DOCTOR ON BOARD 'ALAN KURDI' RESCUE SHIP MIGRANTS LOOKING ELECTRODES BEING APPLIED ON MIGRANT'S CHEST MIGRANT HUGGING DOCTOR MIGRANT HUGGING CREW MEMBER MALTESE PATROL BOAT APPROACHING RESCUE SHIP 'ALAN KURDI' MIGRANT WEARING LIFEJACKET JUMPING ON MALTESE PATROL BOAT MIGRANT WEARING LIFEJACKET WAITING TO BE EVACUATED MIGRANT BEING CHECKED BY MALTESE OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (English) DOCTOR ON BOARD THE 'ALAN KURDI' RESCUE SHIP, DANIELA, SAYING: "My main focus and my main worries are that he had a head injury because of his auto-aggressive behaviour, his desperation and his mental overload. Yesterday (September 4) he flipped and hit his head very hard on the metal container outside, so I was afraid he had a brain bleed or some other injuries and that's why we did a neurological check-up and something for the cardiovascular system." MIGRANT ON DECK WITH HANDS ON HIS FACE (SOUNDBITE) (English) DOCTOR ON BOARD THE 'ALAN KURDI' RESCUE SHIP, DANIELA, SAYING: "The plan is to get them out of the situation as fast as possible to get a medical evacuation because of his mental status. The episodes between (when) he's normal and he is good to talk to and auto-aggression get shorter and we don't know how much we can handle this and we were lucky this time. It seems like he doesn't have injuries so I don't want to risk another auto-aggressive injury where he seriously gets damaged to himself." MIGRANTS LYING AND LOOKING AT SMARTPHONE / MIGRANTS PLAYING CARDS COMMANDING DECK RESCUE SHIP 'ALAN KURDI' SAILING AT SEA
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 09:31
- Keywords: Europe migrants rescue ship Alan Kurdi German NGO Sea-Eye Italy Malta evacuation
- Location: AT SEA
- City: AT SEA
- Country: At Sea
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AVIR87B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two migrants were transferred to Malta from the Alan Kurdi rescue ship on Thursday (September 5) on medical grounds.
The two minors, part of a group of 13 who were rescued on Saturday (August 31) from a small overloaded wooden craft in the Mediterranean, were evacuated to a Maltese patrol boat because of suicidal threats, according to a press release issued by Sea-Eye, the German NGO that operates the vessel.
According to the statement, the mood of the rescued people on board became increasingly worse, with the migrants sleeping on deck in a metal container.
The Alan Kurdi rescue vessel, named after a three-year-old Syrian boy who drowned in the Mediterranean four years ago, remained outside Maltese territorial waters and is still waiting for instructions after Malta and Italy denied the permission to enter territorial waters.
Italy's former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini had imposed a closed ports policy in the last year to stem illegal immigration from North Africa, calling for other European countries to share responsibility for refugees' shelter.
(Production: Darrin Zammit Lupi, Gabrlele Pileri, Fabiano Franchitti)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None