- Title: "God should forgive him" - mixed reactions from Nigerians on Mugabe's death
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: LAGOS, NIGERIA (SEPTEMBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS WALKING BOOKS ON THE GROUND / VIEW OF STREET
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 10:18
- Keywords: Robert Mugabe Zimbabwe former president reaction to the death of former President Nigeria
- Location: LAGOS, NIGERIA
- City: LAGOS, NIGERIA
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AVIRG3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents in Lagos had mixed reactions on Friday (September 6) to the death of Zimbabwe's former president Robert Mugabe, who died in Singapore aged 95.
"I just believe one of our problems is solved, I'm sorry" said Lagos based Marketer, Osadume Aliyu. "His passing away is really sad.... no human being is perfect" added Engineer, David Olanipekun.
Mugabe was feted as an African liberation hero and champion of racial reconciliation when he first came to power in a nation divided by nearly a century of white colonial rule.
Nearly four decades later, many at home and abroad denounced him as a power-obsessed autocrat willing to unleash death squads, rig elections and trash the economy in the relentless pursuit of control.
He was one of the most polarising figures in the history of his continent, a giant of Africa's liberation struggle against colonialism, whose rule finally ended in ignominy when he was overthrown by his own army.
(Production: Seun Sanni, Nneka Chile, Soraya Ali)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None