- Title: Worshippers react to Mugabe's death at papal mass in Mozambique
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF POPE CELEBRATING MASS
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 11:15
- Keywords: Robert Mugabe Pope Francis Mozambique Maputo's national stadium mass
- Location: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- City: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- Country: Mozambique
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002AVIST3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Worshipers attending a mass held by Pope Francis on Friday (September 6) in Mozambique reacted to the news that Zimbabwe's former leader Robert Mugabe died age 95.
Mugabe was one of the most polarising figures in the history of his continent, a giant of Africa's liberation struggle against colonialism, whose rule finally ended in ignominy when he was overthrown by his own army.
He died in Singapore, where he has often received medical treatment in recent years.
Pope Francis, ending his visit to Mozambique, said a mass for some 60,000 of people in Maputo's national stadium and made no mention of Mugabe.
(Production: Siyabonga Sishi, Sisipho Skweyiya, Soraya Ali)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.