- Title: Worshippers react to Mugabe's death at papal mass in Mozambique
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE (SEPTEMBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) WOMEN DANCING AND WAVING AT POPE FRANCIS AS HE ARRIVES MAN PLAYING TROMBONE POPEMOBILE ENTERING STADIUM POPE WAVING TO CROWD CROWDS CHEERING AND WAVING BACK POPE WAVING WOMEN DANCING AND WAVING AT THE POPE POPE WAVING (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOZAMBICAN RESIDENT, ZODWA SARAH, SAYING: "The only thing I can say about Mugabe is let him rest in peace, yes. That is all what I can say about him." (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) MOZAMBICAN RESIDENT, CELSO FULANO, SAYING: "I think it is high time president Mugabe rested, after a long working journey traversing ninety something years. He worked hard on Zimbabwe's liberation and despite their ups and downs he gave a lot for the Zimbabweans. We know it didn't end up well, but I think he left a good legacy."
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 11:15
- Keywords: Robert Mugabe Pope Francis Mozambique Maputo's national stadium mass
- Location: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- City: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- Country: Mozambique
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AVIST3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Worshipers attending a mass held by Pope Francis on Friday (September 6) in Mozambique reacted to the news that Zimbabwe's former leader Robert Mugabe died age 95.
Mugabe was one of the most polarising figures in the history of his continent, a giant of Africa's liberation struggle against colonialism, whose rule finally ended in ignominy when he was overthrown by his own army.
He died in Singapore, where he has often received medical treatment in recent years.
Pope Francis, ending his visit to Mozambique, said a mass for some 60,000 of people in Maputo's national stadium and made no mention of Mugabe.
(Production: Siyabonga Sishi, Sisipho Skweyiya, Soraya Ali)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None