- Title: Worshippers arrive at Maputo stadium ahead of papal mass
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE (SEPTEMBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORSHIPPERS ARRIVING AT MAPUTO'S ZIMPETO STADIUM VARIOUS OF SECURITY PERSONNEL CHECKING PEOPLE AT STADIUM GATES WORSHIPPERS SITTING IN THE STANDS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GOING THROUGH GATES OUTSIDE THE STADIUM WORSHIPPERS IN THE STADIUM / PEOPLE PREPARING ALTAR FOR MASS
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 09:31
- Keywords: Pope Mozambique Hospital visit Zipeto hospital
- Location: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- City: MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- Country: Mozambique
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AVISMRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of Catholic worshippers gathered in Mozambique's national stadium on Friday (September 6) ahead of a Mass held by Pope Francis.
Worshippers packed Zimpeto stadium in the country's capital city Maputo to see the pope, who is in Mozambique as part of a three-nation African tour.
Pope Francis gave a speech on Thursday (September 5) and urged the people of Mozambique to nurture their hard-earned peace and strive to provide equal opportunities for all so as not to slip back into civil war.
The former Portuguese colony emerged from 15 years of civil war in 1992 but it was only last month that President Filipe Nyusi of the ruling Frelimo party and the leader of the Renamo opposition, Ossufo Momade, signed a permanent ceasefire.
Pope Francis is also expected to visit Madagascar and Mauritius as part of his trip and where climate change, poverty and corruption will also be high on the agenda.
(Production: Siyabonga Sishi, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None