- Title: Hong Kong police fire tear gas to disperse protesters
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) RIOT POLICE RUNNING OUT OF MONG KOK POLICE STATION AND FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTER REPORTER JUMPING OVER TEAR GAS CANISTER / PROTESTERS RUNNING PROTESTER MOCKING POLICE IN FRONT OF POLICE STATION / POLICE OFFICER FIRING RUBBER BULLETS IN BACKGROUND POLICE FIRING RUBBER BULLETS PROTESTER THROWING TEAR GAS CANISTER POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTER PROTESTER THROWING TEAR GAS CANISTER VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DISPERSING RIOT POLICE WALKING AND BANGING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS USING HAMMERS TO BREAK INTO ENTRANCE OF PRINCE EDWARD MTR STATION PROTESTERS CHEERING WHILE BREAKING ENTRANCE TO PRINCE EDWARD MTR STATION VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS VANDALISING INTERIOR OF PRINCE EDWARD MTR STATION WITH HAMMERS PROTESTERS GATHERED OUTSIDE OF MONG KOK POLICE STATION VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BURNING MOCK PAPER MONEY IN BON FIRE
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 15:56
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest tear gas police Prince Edward station Mong Kok anti-government demonstrations
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AVITR2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police fired tear gas on Friday (September 6) to try to clear protesters outside a subway station on the densely populated Kowloon peninsula, the latest clash in 14 weeks of sometimes violent anti-government demonstrations.
Hundreds of protesters, many of them masked and dressed in black, took cover behind umbrellas and barricades made from street fencing. Some had broken through a metal grill to enter the station where they pulled down signs, broke turnstiles and daubed graffiti on the walls.
Protesters had gathered outside Prince Edward station in Mong Kok, one of the world's most densely populated regions, where police had fired beanbag guns and used pepper spray to clear demonstrators this week.
They withdrew when police fired rubber bullets, but regrouped in smaller pockets to light fires in the street from wooden pallets, cardboard boxes and other debris. Firemen were dousing the flames.
(Production: Joseph Campbell, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None