- Title: Police fire water canon as Indonesians rally against new penal code
- Date: 24th September 2019
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (SEPTEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) STUDENTS PROTESTERS GATHERING IN FRONT OF PARLIAMENT HOUSE GATE PROTESTERS HOLDING INDONESIAN FLAGS AND BANNERS POLICE GUARD BEHIND FENCES POLICE WATER CANNON SPRAYING PROTESTERS PROTESTERS MOVING TOWARDS WATER CANNON TRUCK MORE POLICE SPRAYING WATER ON PROTESTERS POLICE RETREATING PROTESTERS DISPERSE AS TEAR GAS FIRED PROTESTERS DISPERSE PROTESTERS MOVING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS STUDENT THROWING BACK GAS CANISTER STUDENTS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS POLICE BEHIND SHIELDS VARIOUS OF WATER CANNON TRUCK SPRAYING PROTESTERS BURNING BANNERS ON STREET POLICE WITH SHIELDS STANDING BEHIND WATER CANNON TRUCK/BARRICADES BURNING STUDENTS WAVING INDONESIAN FLAG BURNING DIVIDER ROAD MARKINGS POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS WHILE OTHERS STAND BEHIND SHIELDS POLICE BEHIND SHIELD AS PROTESTERS MOVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 8th October 2019 15:09
- Keywords: Indonesia penal code rights protest students police
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY0M3PJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indonesian police sprayed water cannon and fired tear gas to disperse protesters on Tuesday (September 24), as tens of thousands of students gathered in cities nationwide over a range of issues including a new criminal code that penalises adultery and revised laws on corruption.
Most of the protesters were students, often wearing colourful jackets from their schools or universities.
President Joko Widodo on Friday (September 20) ordered a delay in parliament's vote on the new criminal code, which would replace a Dutch colonial-era set of laws, saying a new parliament should deliberate on the bill next month.
The revisions to the code also include penalties for sex outside marriage, insulting the president's dignity, a four-year jail term for abortions in the absence of a medical emergency or rape, and a prison term for black magic.
(Production: Heru Asprihanto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None