- Title: Thomas Cook collapse ruins wedding plans for tourist Thomas Cook
- Date: 24th September 2019
- Summary: RHODES, GREECE (SEPTEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COUPLE THOMAS COOK AND AMELIA BINCH ON THE BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (English) THOMAS COOK, SAYING: "We just feel very disappointed with Thomas Cook and how they've let us down on the whole situation, there's been so much time in planning and effort in getting all the people our family and friends out here." REPORTER ASKING (English): "What will you do now? (SOUNDBITE) (English) THOMAS COOK, SAYING: "The hotel has been absolutely amazing and Dora, she is doing it. Dora has been absolutely perfect and she's helped us, helped the wedding get back on track." REPORTER ASKING (English): "How will you get home?" (SOUNDBITE) (English) THOMAS COOK, SAYING: "We are not actually sure how we will get over there are we?" (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMELIA BINCH, SAYING: "No, apparently they put on flights for us to get home but we don't know when it is, we don't know where we fly to, the time, so we have to keep check on that and find out when we can." COOK AND BINCH ON THE BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMELIA BINCH COMMENTING ON WHAT THOMAS COOK'S RESPONSE WAS, SAYING: "People were not answering their phones things like that, but then we have gotten in touch with one of the wedding reps, she has come back to the hotel and helped us a lot, helped us a lot, hasn't she? Even though she's lost her job she is still there to help us which has been really very good and her name is Hatey." REPORTER ASKING (English): "Are all your family and guests here?" (SOUNDBITE) (English) THOMAS COOK, SAYING: "When it got announced yesterday we got deflated because there is only 17 of us out here now and there is another 17 people back in England so obviously we know they can't get out now, some of them can get out, some of them can't get out and they can't stay in their hotel, so we've lost numbers on that, many people are not coming out." (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMELIA BINCH, SAYING: "We've lost some good friends that we wanted here. They aren't coming." VARIOUS OF COOK AND BINCH ON THE BEACH
- Embargoed: 8th October 2019 16:03
- Keywords: Thomas Cook Greece couple wedding Rhodes Island
- Location: RHODES, GREECE
- City: RHODES, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY0P4QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For British tourist Thomas Cook and his fiance on the island of Rhodes, it wasn't just their flights that were disrupted by the collapse of Thomas Cook but their wedding plans as well.
Thomas Cook, who shares the same name with the company, and Amelia Binch were to be married on Friday (September 27) on the island of Rhodes. Their entire wedding was planned by the UK travel firm, including decorations.
It almost didn't happen, until the hotel - and its wedding planner Dora- stepped in at the last minute and organized the ceremony and the reception in the hotel.
"We just feel very disappointed," said Thomas, "they've let us down on the whole situation, "there's been so much time in planning and effort in getting all the people our family and friends out here."
Family and friends were planning to join them for the wedding. Seventeen made it out, but there were another 17 that are still back in England, and some of them will not be able to make it.
"We've lost some good friends that we wanted here," said Binch.
The couple have been in Greece since September 18 and was to return on October 3, but they said they are not yet sure how they are getting home.
(Production: Loizos Loizos, Deborah Kyvrikosaios, Idyli Tsakiri)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None