- Title: Superheroes and sidekicks turn up for Comic Con Africa 2019
- Date: 24th September 2019
- Summary: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (SEPTEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOYSO MKHIZE, COMIC BOOK ILLUSTRATOR, SAYING: "As you can see there are rows and rows of young South Africans artists that have been working for years now, on their own IP (intellectual property), their own content, and I think it should now, the conversation between publishers in South Africa, and creators, comic book creators, graphic novel creators should have a greater conversation between the two, because beyond this, where will the audience be getting these comic books right?" VISITOR AT STAND WITH POSTERS OF ANIME CHARACTERS ARTIST SIGNING POSTER POSTER COMIC BOOK EXHIBITORS COMIC BOOKS EXHIBITOR FLIPPING THROUGH COMIC BOOK PAGES (SOUNDBITE) (English) CAROL WEAVING, MANAGING DIRECTOR, REED EXHIBITIONS, SAYING: "This year for the first time we've got Kids Con, so that's dressing up the little people, they've got their own stage with their own celebrities, like Mario and Luigi, My Little Pony, and then the fun thing about the Kids Con, there's a board of directors, which are all kids. The chairman of the board is ten-years-old, they told us what they want to see, not the other way around." VARIOUS OF CHILDREN PLAYING WITH BLOCK LETTERS VARIOUS OF CHILDREN IN SUPERHERO COSTUMES PLAYING WITH LEGO STAR WARS CHARACTER YODA MADE OF LEGO JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (SEPTEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) CHALE DARWIN, VISITOR AT COMIC CON DRESSED AS IRON MAN PRETENDING TO USE POWERS JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (SEPTEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) LEGO FIGURE OF BUZZ LIGHTYEAR FROM TOY STORY JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (SEPTEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHALE DARWIN, VISITOR AT COMIC CON DRESSED AS IRON MAN, SAYING: "I'm loving it so far, so far it's been amazing. I was here yesterday as well and it's just a lot of fun." (SOUNDBITE) (English) GIGI BOPELA, COSPLAY JUDGE, SAYING: "I'm just astounded at how far Cosplay has come in South Africa, it is so awesome and I'm really impressed with the time that everybody put in, to actually bring together an amazing Cosplay." COSPLAY CHARACTER
- Embargoed: 8th October 2019 13:42
- Keywords: Comic books science fiction anime cosplay manga superheroes
- Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005AY5MV6H
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Comic book aficionados turned out in droves this weekend (September 21 and 22) to appreciate, celebrate, perform, compete, and share their love of comic book culture at the second edition of Comic Con Africa in Johannesburg.
Comic Con's arrival on the continent last year was described as long overdue and organizers say the event has significantly scaled up since then.
The event attracts thousands of cosplay, comic books, anime, manga, films, series, and gaming fans.
Comic Con Africa is also a chance for people to learn more about locally produced comics and occupy spaces typically dominated by Hollywood.
One of the things that set this year's Comic Con apart from the 2018 edition was the addition of a concurrent children's event.
Comic Con started in 1970, when a group of science fiction fans in San Diego got together to swap comic books. It has since grown into a globally recognized set of fantasy celebrations, drawing over 130,000 fans to events in London, Moscow, Delhi, Sydney and Dubai.
(Production: Franco Puglisi, Okwi Okoh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None