- Title: Superheroes and sidekicks turn up for Comic Con Africa 2019
- Date: 24th September 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) CAROL WEAVING, MANAGING DIRECTOR, REED EXHIBITIONS, SAYING: "Well I think everything that people came to see in 2018, I think it's just been amplified, so I think they're really excited about, or our fans are excited by the fact that there is so much to see and do, and our artists alley is three times as big as it was last year. We have 11 international artists and authors, which is amazing."
- Embargoed: 8th October 2019 13:42
- Keywords: Comic books science fiction anime cosplay manga superheroes
- Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003AY5MV6H
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Comic book aficionados turned out in droves this weekend (September 21 and 22) to appreciate, celebrate, perform, compete, and share their love of comic book culture at the second edition of Comic Con Africa in Johannesburg.
Comic Con's arrival on the continent last year was described as long overdue and organizers say the event has significantly scaled up since then.
The event attracts thousands of cosplay, comic books, anime, manga, films, series, and gaming fans.
Comic Con Africa is also a chance for people to learn more about locally produced comics and occupy spaces typically dominated by Hollywood.
One of the things that set this year's Comic Con apart from the 2018 edition was the addition of a concurrent children's event.
Comic Con started in 1970, when a group of science fiction fans in San Diego got together to swap comic books. It has since grown into a globally recognized set of fantasy celebrations, drawing over 130,000 fans to events in London, Moscow, Delhi, Sydney and Dubai.
(Production: Franco Puglisi, Okwi Okoh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None