- Title: 'Baywatch' cast reunite for 30th anniversary as show relaunches globally
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ACTRESS ERIKA ELENIAK ACTORS PARKER STEVENSON AND DAVID CHOKACHI ACTRESS KELLY PACKARD PRIVETT ACTRESSES ALEXANDRA PAUL AND BRANDE RODERICK ACTOR DAVID CHARVET (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS, ERIKA ELENIAK, SAYING: "No way. When we did the show, it was actually a serious look at lifeguarding. We'd had a lot of cop shows, doctors shows, lawyers shows, even E.R. shows but there was nothing about lifeguarding. So, we were on NBC originally which was the most conservative network, I think, on television at the time and everything was done on regulation and it absolutely evolved over the years. Like people evolved, the show evolved, and it became unbelievable. Well we have a color named after us, Baywatch red, so that sort of dropped the mic." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS, ALEXANDRA PAUL, SAYING: "The great thing about the show was that the women's roles were as good as the men's. And we did everything that the men did, we rescued as many people, and in the nineties that was not normal. Usually women were relegated to smaller roles, less powerful roles." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS, KELLY PACKARD PRIVETT, SAYING: "When I was on it, it was exciting and it was fun, but then after it was like 'wow!' I was on the number one watched show in the world, seen by a billion viewers, and the impact of that is hard to explain and the fact that it has the lasting power and the red swimsuit is so, still a part of pop culture is crazy to me."
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 05:42
- Keywords: Baywatch Erika Eleniak David Chokachi Kelly Packard Alexadra Paul swimsuits lifeguards television
- Location: SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS;
- City: SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS;
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Television
- Reuters ID: LVA002AY5OC3X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It's been thirty years since the beautiful red-swimsuited cast of 'Baywatch' first hit screens and became a global phenomenon, at the time winning the Guinness World Record for having the largest global TV audience in history.
Many of the cast from the show's 11 seasons - excluding David Hasselhoff who is on tour in Germany - turned out in Santa Monica for a reunion and to launch the HD remastered version of the show, which has recently been sold to most territories around the world.
Despite its success, the reason the show was so popular wasn't the reason the show was made, according to original cast member Erika Eleniak.
She said "When we did the show, it was actually a serious look at lifeguarding. We'd had a lot of cop shows, doctors shows, lawyers shows, even E.R. shows but nothing about lifeguarding. We were on NBC originally which was the most conservative network on television at the time and everything was done on regulation and it absolutely evolved over the years. People evolved and the show evolved and it became unbelievable."
Although the show became known for its pin-ups, including Pamela Anderson, Carmen Electra and Tracy Bingham, audiences sometimes overlooked an important fact, according to Alexandra Paul, who played Lieutenant Stephanie Holden.
"The great thing about the show was that the women's roles were as good as the men's. We did everything that the men did, we rescued as many people as the men did and in the nineties that was not normal. Usually women were relegated to smaller roles and less powerful roles," said Paul.
The other thing the show was known for was the slow-motion running by both the male and female characters - something the cast revealed was not quite as it seemed.
David Chokachi, who played hunky lifeguard Cody Madison, said "The trick is don't run at full speed because if you've ever seen a human being run full speed and you watch it in slow motion, it's the ugliest thing you've ever seen, so you've got to run it at like 50 percent effort - that's the trick - so your face isn't going anywhere and things aren't bouncing around."
Although the show was extremely popular and sky-rocketed the careers of those involved for the time they were on the series, there were downsides to being in 'Baywatch'.
"I was pigeon-holed, for sure, as a Baywatch babe and that was hard to overcome. I feel like I have overcome it now but it's taken - what? - thirty years," said Kelly Packard Privett, while Jeremy Jackson, who played David Hasselhof's son Hobie on the show, said "The cons were getting beat up by other kids that were jealous, having people kind of say bad stuff about you and air your dirty laundry and of course, chicks. You date a couple of crazy chicks and you're famous and have money so of course, they say all kinds of wild stuff so definitely no plus comes without its minuses."
(Production: Krystian Orlinski / Rollo Ross)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None