- Title: England give squad players a runout against United States
- Date: 24th September 2019
- Summary: KOBE, JAPAN (SEPTEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ENGLAND RUGBY TEAM HEAD COACH EDDIE JONES WALKING INTO NEWS CONFERENCE AND TAKING A SEAT (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY TEAM HEAD COACH EDDIE JONES, SAYING: "Look, we've got a squad of 31, we've got a plan for each player. Some players need to play a lot of rugby, some players are much better playing games every so often and we've tried to manage the squad individually, manage it also in terms of what we need for each game to ensure we get the desired result." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY TEAM HEAD COACH EDDIE JONES, ON RISK OF STARTING BILLY VUNIPOLA, SAYING: "Well he loves playing rugby, you know, he's a rugby player and the best way to keep him fit is to play him and he's an influential player in our team." (Reporter: "Is it a risk though that you need to make?") "Well there's a risk in him going out and eating Kobe beef tonight. So we feel like it's much better he plays rugby than go out and eat beef." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND RUGBY TEAM HEAD COACH EDDIE JONES, SAYING: "Look, we're ready for the next dip. So looking forward to the USA - a different proposition. They've had two weeks to prepare for the game and we know they've been down in Okinawa preparing with the Marines, so they'll be hardened for battle and we're looking forward to playing in the great rugby city of Kobe." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 8th October 2019 10:58
- Keywords: England USA Rugby World Cup news conference Eddie Jones
- Location: KOBE, JAPAN
- City: KOBE, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY0PI67
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:England coach Eddie Jones has opted to rest Manu Tuilagi for Thursday's World Cup match against the United States in one of 10 changes to the lineup that beat Tonga 35-3 in their Pool C opener in Sapporo.
Skipper Owen Farrell has been dropped to the bench with only fullback Elliot Daly, flyhalf George Ford, number eight Billy Vunipola, flanker Tom Curry and prop Joe Marler retaining their places in the 15.
Dan Cole, Luke Cowan Dickie and Marler make up the front row with Joe Launchbury and George Kruis playing in an all-new second row.
Willi Heinz gets the nod at scrum half with Piers Francis and Jonathan Joseph in the centres, while Joe Cokanasiga, who has been struggling with a knee injury, and Ruaridh McConnochie will play on the wings.
With the United States playing their first game of the tournament while England have a four-day turnaround, Jones was expecting a physical test.
England: 15-Elliot Daly, 14-Ruaridh McConnochie, 13-Jonathan Joseph, 12-Piers Francis, 11-Joe Cokanasiga, 10-George Ford, 9-Willi Heinz, 8-Billy Vunipola, 7-Lewis Ludlam, 6-Tom Curry, 5- George Kruis, 4-Joe Launchbury, 3-Dan Cole, 2-Luke Cowan-Dickie, 1-Joe Marler
Replacements: 16-Jack Singleton, 17-Ellis Genge, 18-Kyle Sinckler, 19-Courtney Lawes, 20-Mark Wilson, 21-Ben Youngs, 22-Owen Farrell, 23-Anthony Watson.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None