- Title: Atletico set to face Juventus in Champions League opener
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: MAJADAHONDA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ATLETICO MADRID PLAYERS AT TRAINING PITCH DEFENDER KIERAN TRIPPIER SHAKING HANDS WITH FORWARD ANGEL CORREA AND DEFENDER JOSE MARIA GIMENEZ STRIKER DIEGO COSTA AT SESSION FORWARD JOAO FELIX TRAINING MIDFIELDER SAUL NIGUEZ TRAINING TRIPPIER TRAINING GOALKEEPER JAN OBLAK TRAINING FELIX TRAINING OBLAK TRAINING COACH DIEGO SIMEONE ATTENDING SESSION GIMENEZ AND DEFENDER STEFAN SAVIC STRETCHING MIDFIELDER KOKE RESURRECCION SCORING A GOAL CORREA JUGGLING THE BALL PLAYERS STRETCHING
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 11:02
- Keywords: Atletico Madrid training session Champions League match againt Juventus
- Location: MAJADAHONDA, SPAIN
- City: MAJADAHONDA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX1QU67
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish club Atletico Madrid geared up for their opening UEFA Champions League Group D match against Italian champions Juventus with a training session on Tuesday (September 17).
The club lost to Juventus in the Round of 16 stage in the 2018-19 season, suffering a 3-2 defeat, and the last time they reached the quarter-final of the Champions League was during the 2016-17 season, although they were the runners-up in the 2015-16 season.
Meanwhile, Juventus have not won the Champions League since the 1995-96 season, but were the runners-up in the 2016-17 season and have since consistently reached the quarter-final stage.
Atletico is the third most successful Spanish club in terms of titles won, and has consistently ranked in the top three of La Liga since the 2012-13 season.
Coach Diego Simeone is likely to be without striker Alvaro Morata who is still recovering from a knee sprain.
Atletico play Juventus on Wednesday (September 18) at their Wanda Metropolitano stadium.
(Production: Silvio Castellanos, Jeevan Ravindran)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None