- Title: Manchester City blow as Stones ruled out of Shakhtar clash
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: KHARKIV, UKRAINE (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) MANCHESTER CITY SQUAD TRAINING ILKAY GUNDOGAN AT TRAINING VARIOUS OF PLAYERS TRAINING VARIOUS OF TRAINING IN PROGRESS SCORE BOARD VARIOUS OF TRAINING NEWS CONFERENCE STARTING PHOTOGRAPHER (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER, PEP GUARDIOLA, SAYING: "He has virus problem for the stomach. He is not able for this game and I think so for the next one. (REPORTER ASKING OFF CAMERA: Do you have other injury problems?) Yes. John Stones (REPORTER ASKING OFF CAMERA: What's the problem with John?) Injured this morning. (REPORTER ASKING OFF CAMERA: In training?) Yes. (REPORTER ASKING OFF CAMERA: How bad is it?) Month. Four-five weeks, six weeks. (REPORTER ASKING OFF CAMERA: What's he done?) Muscular problem. " PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER, PEP GUARDIOLA, SAYING: "And what we are not going to do is complaining about it. They are not able - they are not able. So we have to make 11 players on the pitch, we make extra effort. And I like it, to prove myself that we are able to find a solution for the team and for the players as well. To give an incredible step forward, solution to this problem that we have. And the important two central defenders like John and Aymeric are injured for a long time." VARIOUS OF MEDIA GUARDIOLA LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SHAKHTAR DONETSK MANAGER, LUIS CASTRO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) SHAKHTAR DONETSK MANAGER, LUIS CASTRO, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "I've also won games and an assistant comes in from the bench and wins too and so then the substitution is done. We can make changes and win. Tomorrow's game is completely different. We're not going to analyse tomorrow's game against City along with what we've done in our Championships. Not because it is easier or more difficult, in this case it is more difficult and with an extremely difficult context." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) SHAKHTAR DONETSK MANAGER, LUIS CASTRO, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "The fact that we couldn't just go... and it's true that in Donetsk we had an average attendance of 35,000 spectators at the stadium. We're no longer at that stadium. We know they support as from afar. Unfortunately, the situation doesn't allow for us to be in Donetsk right now. It's a pity. We have a great stadium there. The stadium had a fantastic atmosphere. But we just have to push on. Right now we have a training centre in Kiev and we have a stadium in Kharkiv, but we'd prefer to be in Donetsk, as everyone knows. But the that's not our reality." MEDIA LUIS CASTRO LEAVING
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 20:15
- Keywords: Manchester City Champions League Shakhtar Donetsk John Stones Pep Guardiola Nicolas Otamendi Aymeric Laporte
- Location: KHARKIV, UKRAINE
- City: KHARKIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX1RD4V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester City's defensive woes deepened ahead of their opening Champions League clash away at Shakhtar Donetsk as centre back John Stones was ruled out with a muscle injury.
City manager Pep Guardiola broke the news during his pre-match news conference.
"Injured this morning," Guardiola told reporters, confirming the injury occurred during Tuesday's (September 17) training session.
Fresh from a shock 3-2 Premier League defeat by promoted Norwich City and with French centre back Aymeric Laporte out injured until January or February, the news that Stones could now miss five weeks gives Guardiola a headache.
"I like it, to prove myself that we are able to find a solution," he said.
Despite City beating Shakhtar 3-0 away last season, the Ukrainians are dangerous opponents, especially on their own turf, and Guardiola will likely have a patched-up defence with Nicolas Otamendi their only available established centre back.
Fernandinho, naturally a defensive midfielder, is expected to partner Otamendi in the heart of City's defence.
Midfielder Phil Foden is also out of Wednesday's (September 18) match through illness.
City became the first English team to beat Shakhtar away last season, but Guardiola is wary of the Ukrainians, having lost to them the previous season, also in the Champions League.
(Production: VItaliy Hnidyy, Serhiy Karazy, Masha Vassilieva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None