- Title: France says lacks evidence on origin of drones used in Saudi attack
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER JEAN-YVES LE DRIAN SITTING WITH EGYPTIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SAMEH SHOUKRY IN MEETING AHEAD OF NEWS CONFERENCE VARIOUS OF NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS / SHOUKRY SPEAKING PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PICTURES (SOUNDBITE)(French) FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER JEAN-YVES LE DRIAN, SAYING: "Up to now France does not have evidence which would allow us to say that these drones came from one place or another, and I do not know if anyone has such evidence. But I note with interest that the Saudi authorities have proposed to involve international experts and the United Nations in an investigation to identify the facts and origins. I believe this is a good initiative. I cannot say what their role should be in relation to the American plan that you mention, the only thing I say forcefully is that France takes a de-escalation strategy and any act that would go against that would be a bad act for the situation in the region and I think the Saudi initiative to establish the facts is good." LE DRIAN AND SHOUKRY LISTENING TO QUESTIONS DURING NEWS CONFERENCE OFFICIALS AND MEDIA AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) EGYPTIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SAMEH SHOUKRY, SAYING "The Saudi authorities have announced that they are investigating who is responsible and the source of the attack that targeted Saudi oil facilities. Certainly, when this investigation reaches a conclusion, the matter will be addressed through the responsibility of the international community and the active parties in preventing any illegitimate act that may destabilise international peace and security." VARIOUS OF SHOUKRY, LE DRIAN AND DIPLOMATS SITTING AT TABLE FOR TALKS
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 15:09
- Keywords: France drone attack Houthi Egypt investigation evidence French foreign minister Saudi Arabia Egyptian foreign minister Saudi oil United Nations oil
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX1R4G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Tuesday (September 17) the country has no evidence on the origin of drones used to attack Saudi oil facilities.
He made the remarks during a joint news conference held with his Egyptian counterpart, Sameh Shoukry, adding that he did not believe any country had such evidence.
The Egyptian foreign minister said the international community should address the attack once Saudi Arabia concludes its investigation and identifies "who is responsible and the source".
The United States has blamed Tehran for the attack. Iran has denied responsibility and on Tuesday again ruled out talks with Washington unless it rescinds sanctions and returns to a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran that it ditched last year.
(Production: Ahmed Fahmy, Hend Kortam)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None