- Title: Tunisia's voters reject established political leaders
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: TUNIS, TUNISIA (FILE - AUGUST 2, 2019) (REUTERS) PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE NABIL KAROUI BEING HANDED PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDACY PAPERS KAROUI STANDING
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 18:27
- Keywords: Tunisia Election Presidential Elections in Tunisia Kais Saied Results Nabil Karoui
- Location: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- City: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- Country: Tunisia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002AX1S0UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tunisia's electoral commission said on Tuesday (September 17) law professor Kais Saied and detained media mogul Nabil Karoui won the most votes in the presidential election on Sunday (September 15).
The result marks a sharp rejection of the established forces that have dominated politics since the 2011 revolution but failed to address economic troubles including inflation and high unemployment.
Saied took 18.4% of the votes and Karoui 15.6%. Of the other 24 candidates, who included the prime minister, two former premiers, a former president and the defence minister, the moderate Islamist Ennahda candidate Abdelfattah Mourou came in third with 12.9%.
Tunisia's president has only limited powers, controlling foreign and defence policy, while a prime minister chosen by the parliament manages other portfolios.
(Production: Sayed Sheasha, Seham Eloraby, Hywel Davies)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None