- Title: Palestinians voice little expectation after Israeli election too close to call
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: SMARTPHONE SCREEN SHOWING PALESTINIAN ANALYSIS ABOUT ISRAELI ELECTIONS
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 22:47
- Keywords: Israeli elections exit polls Netanyahu Palestinians Gaza Hamas Palestinian Authority
- Location: HEBRON, JERICHO, WEST BANK/GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: HEBRON, JERICHO, WEST BANK/GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002AX1PUMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza voiced mixed feelings on Tuesday (September 17) as exit polls following Israeli election showed the race too close to call and Israel's longest-serving leader weakened.
Saeb Erekat, Chief Palestinian negotiator and a close aide to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, voiced hopes that a new Israeli government will pursue peace with the Palestinians.
Sitting in a small cafe in the West Bank city of Hebron, young men said that they're not expecting much of any Israeli government, regardless of the man heading it.
But for 41-year-old Saad El-Din Ziada from Gaza, who lost 6 of his family members in the 2014 Gaza War and whose family filed a lawsuit against ex-general Benny Gantz for war crimes, a Gantz win in the election may mean an end to his legal struggle.
Surveys by Israeli TV stations gave Netanyahu's right-wing Likud 31 to 33 of parliament's 120 seats, versus 32 to 34 for centrist Blue and White led by former General Benny Gantz.
Neither had enough support, at first glance, for a governing coalition of 61 legislators, and Netanyahu's ally-turned-rival, former Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman, emerged as a likely kingmaker as head of the far-right Yisrael Beitenu party.
(Production: Saed Hawari/Yusri AlJamal/Abed Shanna/Fadi Shanna/Nehad Khalil/Arafat Barbakh/Roleen Tafakji/Rahaf Ruby)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.