- Title: Tallest residential building in the world tops out at 1,550 feet
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VIEW OF CENTRAL PARK FROM 123RD FLOOR OF CENTRAL PARK TOWER AT 217 WEST 57TH STREET VIEW OF FREEDOM TOWER VIEW OF EMPIRE STATE BUILDING VARIOUS STILLS OF $70 MILLION APARTMENT ON 123RD FLOOR OF CENTRAL PARK TOWER VARIOUS OF CENTRAL PARK TOWER EXTERIORS EXTELL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY, PRESIDENT AND FOUNDER, GARY BARNETT, LOWERING CURTAINS ON VIEWS FROM CENTRAL PARK TOWER DURING TOPPING OUT CEREMONY CENTRAL PARK TOWER TOPPING OUT CEREMONY SIGN ON WALL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING OUT OF CENTRAL PARK TOWER WINDOWS ON 107TH FLOOR ADRIAN SMITH + GORDON GILL ARCHITECTURE (AS+GG), PARTNERS, ADRIAN SMITH AND GORDON GILL, TALKING TO PRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ADRIAN SMITH + GORDON GILL ARCHITECTURE (AS+GG) PARTNER, ADRIAN SMITH, SAYING: "One is the incredible view of Central Park from here. And the other is the incredible view of Midtown, the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building. This building has both those views, and those are absolutely incredible amenities that very few buildings have the way this does." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ADRIAN SMITH + GORDON GILL ARCHITECTURE (AS+GG) PARTNER, GORDON GILL, SAYING: "We're in one of the greatest cities in the world. So, the inspiration is easy. You know, when you look at the history and legacy of the great buildings in New York, and you look at the skyline of New York, for us to be able to participate in that, and kind of etch our role in the history of that architectural legacy is fantastic." VARIOUS OF VIEWS FROM 123RD FLOOR OF CENTRAL PARK TOWER AT 217 WEST 57TH STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) LENDLEASE EXECUTIVE GENERAL MANAGER, ANTHONY MANNION, SAYING: "Not every day was as beautiful as today. You can imagine everything that everybody's gone through in order to build this building - all the weather, all the hoist breaking down. That hoist that you went up on today, doesn't always run as perfectly as it did today. A lot of times people get... it breaks down. The crane shuts down due to wind when you're building buildings like this that are very tall. You're challenged by the wind, you're challenged by the weather all the time. Sometimes we're up in the clouds, and people work up in the clouds, you can't see the top of this building. It's an amazing achievement. It's an unbelievable achievement." VIEW FROM 123RD FLOOR (SOUNDBITE) (English) EXTELL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PRESIDENT AND FOUNDER, GARY BARNETT, SAYING: "It took a long time, you know, little by little. And, as we got larger footprint, larger air rights, it turned into what's now the tallest residential building in the world. It is not something that was easy to accomplish. We had a tremendous amount of help for us." VARIOUS OF VIEWS FROM 123RD FLOOR VARIOUS OF CENTRAL PARK TOWER EXTERIORS
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 20:07
- Keywords: Central Park Tower Worldâ€™s Tallest Residential Building 217 West 57th Street construction workers Adrian Smith Gordon Gill Extell
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / UNDISCLOSED LOCATIONS
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / UNDISCLOSED LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX1RUIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: "It's an amazing achievement. It's an unbelievable achievement," Lendlease Executive General Manager Anthony Mannion said on Tuesday (September 17), as he introduced the world's tallest residential building in New York.
Mannion and the developers and architects of Central Park Tower held a "topping-out ceremony" to celebrate the building in Manhattan's Midtown.
"As we got larger footprint, larger air rights, it turned into what's now the tallest residential building in the world," said Gary Barnett, founder of Extell Development Company that built the 1,550-foot (472 meter) tall building. "It is not something that was easy to accomplish."
Construction workers are still installing glass panels on top, but Reuters got to the 123rd floor for spectacular views of Central Park, the Freedom Tower, and the East and Hudson rivers.
Architects Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill, who designed the structure said they were thrilled to contribute to the skyline of New York.
"For us to be able to participate in that, and kind of etch our role in the history of that architectural legacy is fantastic," Gill said.
The building boasts 179 luxury two-to-eight bedroom apartments, ranging from 1,435 square feet to over 17,500 feet (133-1625 square meters).
Prices start at $6.9 million for a 33rd floor two-bedroom.
The most expensive dwelling listed now is a 112th-floor five-bedroom at $63 million.
The list of amenities includes swimming pools and a spa, a theater, a cigar bar, and a 126-person ballroom.
Residents will live above a 300,000-square-foot (27,870 square meter) Nordstrom department store that will take up the first seven floors.
Mannion said construction of the tower has been tricky.
"Not every day was as beautiful as today," he said, citing weather and equipment challenges.
"You can imagine everything that everybody's gone through in order to build this building."
The Central Park Tower is set to be completed next year. The Nordstrom store will open at the end of October 2020.
(Production: Andrew Hofstetter, Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None