- Title: Channel Tunnel tests Brexit readiness with "no deal" dry run
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: FOLKESTONE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) CUSTOMS OFFICIAL TALKING TO TRUCK DRIVER WHO HANDS HIM VALUE ADDED TAX (VAT) DECLARATION TRUCK DRIVER WATCHING AND WAITING CUSTOMS OFFICIAL SCANNING DOCUMENT, HANDING IT BACK TO TRUCK DRIVER CUSTOMS OFFICIAL WALKING PAST TRUCKS TRUCK APPROACHING PASSPORT CHECKPOINT OFFICIAL CHECKING TRUCK WITH STICK DRIVER IN CAB OF TRUCK TRUCK PULLING AWAY FROM VAT CHECK AREA, TOWARDS PASSPORT CHECKS
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 15:54
- Keywords: Eurotunnel no-deal Brexit borders customs movement of goods English Channel
- Location: FOLKESTONE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / COQUELLES, FRANCE /
- City: FOLKESTONE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / COQUELLES, FRANCE /
- Country: France
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX1QJWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Officials at the Channel Tunnel ran a test on Tuesday (September 17) of new customs and health checks at the French-British border that would be necessary in case of a no deal Brexit.
Eurotunnel has spent 15 million euros constructing new facilities including a "pit-stop" at the check-in terminals on either side of the tunnel where trucks would present pre-completed customs declarations to allow Value-added Tax (VAT) to be collected.
Other new border features include a hangar on the European Union (EU) side of the crossing to conduct sanitary checks on any food or animals which officials believe could pose a risk, though no livestock are allowed to travel through the tunnel.
The customs director for the local region - which includes the freight hubs of Calais, Boulogne and Dunkirk - described himself as "confident" after authorities had been preparing for two years.
As the clock ticks down to Britain's scheduled exit from the European Union on Oct. 31, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has yet to agree a deal with Brussels.
(Production: Noemie Olive, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None