- Title: Former Italian PM Renzi to lead breakaway from PD, still backs government
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (FILE - NOVEMBER 2016) (REUTERS) RENZI ON COVER OF ITALIAN EDITION OF THE ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE WITH HEADLINE READING (English) "The Young Pop"
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 09:41
- Keywords: Former Italian Prime Minister Democratic Party Italian politics
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AX1Q1QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Former Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will lead a breakaway from the ruling Democratic Party (PD) this week and set up a new centrist force, he was quoted as saying on Tuesday (September 17), adding the move could help broaden the appeal of the coalition government.
Renzi, who led a PD administration from 2014-2016, was instrumental in piecing together the new coalition earlier this month after the far-right League, led by former Interior Ministry Matteo Salvini, walked out of an alliance with the 5-Star Movement in the hope of triggering an early election.
However, Renzi, now a member of Senate for PD, has had an abrasive relationship with his party, especially with left-wingers, and there have been persistent rumours he was planning to set up a new movement.
According to analysts, Renzi's move might make it harder for Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte to keep his government in office. But others think Renzi might succeed in claiming the middle ground of Italian politics.
(Production: Gabriele Pileri, Antonio Denti, Eleanor Biles)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.