- Title: Tunisia confirms Saied, Karoui advance to a runoff vote next month
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PEOPLE STANDING FOR TUNISIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM TUNISIAN FLAG
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 16:43
- Keywords: tunisia presidential elections results run-off vote
- Location: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- City: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- Country: Tunisia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002AX1RSXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Law professor Kais Saied and detained media mogul Nabil Karoui won the most votes in the first round of Tunisia's presidential election and will advance to a runoff vote, the independent electoral commission said on Tuesday (September 17).
The commission's announcement following a vote count confirmed exit polls released on Sunday evening (September 15) and partial results issued throughout Monday (September 16).
Sunday's vote has been seen in Tunisia as a sharp rebuke of the established political forces that have dominated since the 2011 revolution, failing to address economic troubles that include high unemployment and inflation.
Saied took 18.4% of the votes and Karoui 15.6%. Of the other 24 candidates, who included the prime minister, two former prime ministers, a former president and the defence minister, the moderate Islamist Ennahda candidate Abdelfattah Mourou came in third with 12.9%.
(Bushra Shakhshir, Mohammed Abu Ghania)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.