- Title: Parwan blast kills 26 people, wounds 42
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: SECURITY PERSONNEL ON BRIDGE NEAR BLAST SITE, BLOOD ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 14:38
- Keywords: Taliban suicide bombers separate attacks in Afghanistan Parwan
- Location: PARWAN, AFGHANISTAN
- City: PARWAN, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA004AX1NT53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Taliban suicide bombers killed 48 people in two separate attacks in Afghanistan on Tuesday (September 17), the deadliest taking place near an election rally by President Ashraf Ghani, though he was unhurt.
Ghani, who is seeking a second five-year term in voting on Sept. 28, was due to address a rally in Charikar, the capital of central Parwan province, when a suicide bomber attacked the gathering.
The Charikar blast killed 26 people and wounded 42, said Nasrat Rahimi, spokesman for the interior ministry.
Bodies littered the dusty ground as smoke rose from the site of the explosion, where a giant blue billboard bearing the face of Ghani's running mate Amrullah Saleh loomed over the scene.
With sirens wailing, rescuers rushed to lift the wounded into the backs of pick-up trucks for evacuation.
In a separate incident, a man blew himself up in the centre of the capital Kabul, killing 22 people and wounding 38.
(Production: Sayed Hassib, Hameed Farzad)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material