- Title: Real Madrid ready to get UCL campaign underway at PSG
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF REAL MADRID PLAYERS ON PITCH COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, TALKING WITH STAFF VARIOUS OF PLAYERS DURING TRAINING AT PARC DES PRINCES COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: "We are just at the start of the season and I think that our start is good even if we can always do better because as you said we had two tied games but obviously that we have and will improve at all the levels.'' PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: ''It always have been difficult for Karim (Benzema) but I think he always shows the player he is and, he actually always said himself. We always think about Karim as a striker but he is not only that, indeed Karim scored more recently, he attacked a lot but it's not the most important thing for me because he's part of the team and he proves every match and this is what is the most important for me. Then, everyone has his own opinion but I believe he is a fantastic player.'' JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (French) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: ''I always think that about Hazard (an important player), he is a decisive player, he is a player who can make the difference and he proved it and the fact he is playing with us today pushes him more and he wants to prove and I believe he will be a great player. I don't want to compare people because I don't like to compare people in general but I believe he will be Real Madrid's important player and there is no doubt that a great future is waiting for him.'' VARIOUS OF PLAYERS ON PITCH DEFENDER, RAPHAEL VARANE, DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) REAL MADRID DEFENDER, RAPHAEL VARANE, SAYING: ''It's never simple to play against Paris, especially to play in Paris with all the fans behind the team so we expect a difficult game whoever will be the competitors. Of course they have some important players who will not be able to play but we expect to face difficult game where we will have to do less mistakes as possible and endeavour a lot of intensity to win the game.'' VARANE DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID DEFENDER, RAPHAEL VARANE, SAYING: ''The UEFA League for Real Madrid is a very special tournament. We are very excited about this competition, it personally motivates me a lot and I think that this is the most difficult competition ever to win.'' VARIOUS OF PLAYERS ON PITCH
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 20:57
- Keywords: Real Madrid PSG Zinedine Zidane Raphael Varane Eden Hazard Karim Benzema
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX1RXOF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Eden Hazard is ready to make his first start for Real Madrid in their mouthwatering Champions League opener away to Paris St. Germain, coach Zinedine Zidane said on Tuesday (September 17).
The Belgian forward came off the bench to make his Real debut in Saturday's 3-2 win over Levante, having had his start to life at the club hit by a thigh injury the day before the La Liga season began.
Zidane's side have made an unconvincing start to the campaign, winning two of their four La Liga matches and drawing two, while conceding six goals.
They made a flying start against Levante by marching into a three-goal lead before halftime but conceded twice after the interval and by the end of the game were clinging on for all three points.
Real's captain Sergio Ramos is suspended for the game, while Ballon d'Or winner Luka Modric and Isco are injured.
Their shortages pale in comparison to PSG's however, with the French side missing suspended Brazil striker Neymar and the injured pair Edinson Cavani and Kylian Mbappe, while new signing Mauro Icardi is a major doubt.
(Production: Neomie Olive)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None