- Title: Hip hope: Universal Music opens Southeast Asia HQ betting on rap
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: SINGAPORE (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF REGIONAL RAPPERS PERFORMING ON STAGE, AS FOLLOWS: ALIF (SINGAPORE), A.NAYAKA, (INDONESIA), FARIZ JABBA, (SINGAPORE), YUNG RAJA (SINGAPORE), DABOYWAY (THAILAND) AND JOE FLIZZOW, (MALAYSIA) RAPPERS POSING TOGETHER ON THE STAGE
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 18:21
- Keywords: Universal Music Group UMG Def Jam South East Asia Def Jam Recordings Singapore
- Location: SINGAPORE / UNKNOWN FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: SINGAPORE / UNKNOWN FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA007AX1NQ19
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Korea brought the world K-Pop. India, the music of Bollywood. Could the chaotic, fast-growing Southeast Asia region be a new hotbed for hip hop? Vivendi's Universal Music Group (UMG) likes the sound of that idea.
The unveiling of its Southeast Asia headquarters in Singapore on Tuesday (September 17) included performances from six newly-signed rappers - appearing on stage with bleached hair, gold jewellery and baggy clothing - in contrast to the backdrop of the corporate presentation.
Of the artists signed to UMG's flagship hip hop label Def Jam, Thai rapper Daboyway is the most well-known with one million followers on Instagram. He said appetite for the genre has been "crazy" in recent years as listeners expand horizons away from long-established U.S. acts to focus on home-grown talent. As such, many of region's artists now sing in their mother tongue.
UMG's Executive Vice-President of Marketing Development, Adam Granite, said language is no longer a barrier for international audiences, as exemplified by Puerto Rican singer Luis Fonsi's 2017 hit 'Despacito' and 'Gangnam Style' by Korea's Psy in 2012.
(Production: Pedja Stanisic, Soraya Ali)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.