- Title: Wallabies officially welcomed to Rugby World Cup 2019
- Date: 18th September 2019
- Summary: EBETSU, JAPAN (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF AUSTRALIAN TEAM ARRIVING AND GREETING FANS VARIOUS OF AUSTRALIAN PLAYERS SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS FOR LOCAL STUDENTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) AN UNIDENTIFIED FAN SAYING "My favourite team is Wallabies." LOCAL SCHOOL CHILDREN WAVING AUSTRALIAN FLAGS CHILDREN CARRYING LANTERNS AND ESCORTING WALLABIES INTO OFFICIAL WELCOME CEREMONY VARIOUS OF WALLABIES RECEIVING OFFICIAL WORLD CUP CAP LUKHAN SALAKAIA-LOTO PUTTING CAP ON HAIR BUN (SOUNDBITE) (English) WALLABIES WINGER, ADAM ASHLEY-COOPER SAYING "I think there is a couple of things playing at Sapporo Dome. One, itâ€™s indoors so I think the conditions are going to suit our style of play, as well as the Fijians. So, that will make for a very entertaining match for the spectator. And also we've been watching a few videos and how the field is rolled in and how it has transformed into a rugby pitch from base pitch which is also very impressive. And I think for us, it is going to be a unique experience and one that we will never forget." MICHAEL CHIEKA STANDING IN NEW CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) AUSTRALIAN HEAD COACH, MICHAEL CHIEKA SAYING "The team is going to be selected based on some performances, like a, that reviews that we have building in to the tournament and across the whole squad not just 23 that we picked, and when different players play throughout the tournament. So we will pick a team we think itâ€™s ready, well ready and prepared. Some elements maybe particular to Fiji, but really looking at whole flow of so far which play would be 100% ready." VARIOUS OF WALLABIES POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPH AT OFFICIAL PHOTO SESSION
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2019 12:19
- Keywords: Rugby World XCup Australia arrival Chieka
- Location: SAPPORO, JAPAN
- City: SAPPORO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6QT6N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Australia's Wallabies were officially welcomed to the 2019 Rugby World Cup in the northern city of Ebetsu on Wednesday (September 18).
Signing autographs as they walked past local school children waving Australian flags, the 31-men squad received their World Cup caps before posing for an official team photo.
The final 23-men squad for their opening match against Fiji at Sapporo Dome will be announced on Thursday (September 19).
(Production: Jill Gralow and Yoko Kono)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None