- Title: Macron praises European defence cooperation with Finnish PM in Paris
- Date: 18th September 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE / GUARDS OUTSIDE GUARD FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, WALKING ONTO STEPS MACRON SMILING MACRON WALKING DOWN STEPS, GREETING FINNISH PRIME MINISTER, ANTTI RINNE, LEADING HIM TO PODIUM TO SPEAK TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "This approach, a greater European sovereignty, is particularly remarkable when it comes to security and defence, and I would like to thank Finland for joining the European Intervention Initiative, which creates a real common strategic culture that is more efficient and more autonomous." MACRON AND RINNE WAVING AT PHOTOGRAPHERS, ENTERING ELYSEE PALACE MACRON AND RINNE AT MEETING
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2019 15:16
- Keywords: Finland France Antti Rinne Emmanuel Macron Elysee Palace defence Europe
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6QZIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron praised the European Intervention Initiative ahead of a meeting with Finnish Prime Minister Antti Rinne in Paris on Wednesday (September 18).
Finland joined the European defence coalition when it was launched late in 2018 along with Germany, France, Britain and the Netherlands.
Proponents say it complements the existing defence alliance NATO in the face of a newly-assertive Russia.
Finland currently holds the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union.
(Production: Thierry Chiarello, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None