- Title: Climate activists stage funeral at London Fashion Week
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: DEMONSTRATORS CARRYING FAKE COFFIN EXTINCTION REBELLION FLAGS FLYING ABOVE PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE)(English) EXTINCTION REBELLION ACTIVIST, SARA ARNOLD, SAYING: ''So we're having a funeral procession, which starts at Trafalgar Square and will end at the main London Fashion Week venue, 180 The Strand. And the reason is because we're facing an absolute emergency and we all need to have space to grieve collectively. And, we will grieve for the planet, nature, the animals and the people that have suffered, and that will continue to suffer, and the lives that will be lost due to this crisis.'' PEOPLE DRESSED IN RED OUTSIDE FASHION RETAILER
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 20:37
- Keywords: London Fashion Week Extinction Rebellion protest coffin environmental. consumerism Sara Arnold
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Fashion
- Reuters ID: LVA002AX1S6DJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Funeral attire, dead flowers and sustainable fashion designs were paraded through London on Tuesday (September 17) as climate activists from Extinction Rebellion held a funeral procession for London Fashion week.
Starting in Trafalgar Square and walking along The Strand, activists carried coffins and waved flags while musicians led them towards the event's main venue.
The climate activists had previously glued themselves to a door and poured out a "bleeding" red carpet on the opening day of London Fashion, as well as demonstrating outside Victoria Beckham's fashion show over the weekend.
With growing environmental awareness, some fashion brands are seeking to improve their green credentials but demonstrators want to see more action.
Extinction Rebellion, which has staged several protests in recent months, had called on London Fashion Week organisers to cancel the five-day industry event where designers are unveiling their latest womenswear lines.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Jayson Mansaray)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None