- Title: Nobel Peace Prize laureates head to Mexico for World Summit
- Date: 20th September 2019
- Summary: MERIDA, YUCATAN, MEXICO (SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NOBEL PEACE PRIZE LAUREATES WALKING UP TO STAGE AUDIENCE AT EVENT GENERAL VIEW OF EVENT VARIOUS OF LAUREATES AT EVENT EVENT IN PROGRESS FORMER COLOMBIAN PRESIDENT JUAN MANUEL SANTOS WALKING TO LECTERN LAUREATES ON STAGE AT EVENT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FORMER COLOMBIAN PRESIDENT, JUAN MANUEL SANTOS, SAYING: "There are leaders in different parts of the planet who are focused on closing doors, and on taking a step back from advances that have taken place over decades. The nuclear arms control agreements eliminated, migrants treated like criminals, commercial wars that have gripped the global economy." LAUREATES ON STAGE, INCLUDING FORMER POLISH PRESIDENT LECH WALESA (SOUNDBITE) (Polish) FORMER POLISH PRESIDENT LECH WALESA, SAYING: "Technology has advanced so much that we can no longer think of ourselves as just small countries, with internal structures. Structures have changed and now we must face global challenges. In fact, we must restructure practically everything in our lives, and then we can begin to talk about democracy. I was taught what democracy is, it is what the majority thinks. But the majority don't participate in elections in their countries." LAUREATES SEATED INCLUDED JODY WILLIAMS (SOUNDBITE) (English) NOBEL PEACE PRIZE LAUREATE, JODY WILLIAMS, SAYING: "The amount of money globally that is spent on weapons, weapon systems and militaries is yet another obscenity. I will use just my own country as an example because it is the only one I know the statistics on. 57% of the American disposable budget is spent on the military. Think about that, 57%. 3% is spent on education, 3% is spent on healthcare." LAUREATES ON STAGE AT EVENT CORRIDOR AT EVENT SIGN FOR WORLD SUMMIT
- Embargoed: 4th October 2019 00:55
- Keywords: Nobel Peace Laureate World Summit Mexico former Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos former Polish President Lech Walesa Merida Yucatan
- Location: MERIDA, YUCATAN, MEXICO
- City: MERIDA, YUCATAN, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AXBNG3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Dozens of Nobel Peace Prize laureates gathered in the Mexican city of Merida on Thursday (September 19) for the 17th World Summit, in an event that seeks to advance issues of global peace.
Amongst those in attendance was former Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos who won the prize in 2016 for his efforts to end a 52-year-old war with Marxist guerrillas.
Poland's former President Lech Walesa talked up democracy and popular participation in government at the event. Walesa won the Nobel Prize in 1983 for his campaigns for freedom of organisation in Poland amidst Communist rule.
Anti-landmine campaigner Jody Williams, who was among the laureates attending the event, criticised the U.S. military's vast expenditure against other issues such as health and education.
The four-day event wraps up on Saturday (September 21).
(Production: Josue Gonzalez, Rodolfo Pena Roja)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None