- Title: Israeli troopers shoot Palestinian woman, say she tried to stab them
- Date: 18th September 2019
- Summary: QALANDIYA, WEST BANK (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS SHOWING ISRAELI FORCES SHOOTING PALESTINIAN WOMAN AT ISRAELI CHECKPOINT BETWEEN RAMALLAH AND JERUSALEM, THEY SAID SHE TRIED TO STAB THEM
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2019 10:51
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians violence Qalandiya checkpoint hospital
- Location: QALANDIYA, WEST BANK
- City: QALANDIYA, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6PZYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Israeli security forces shot a Palestinian woman who tried to stab them at a checkpoint in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday (September 18), Israeli police said, and Palestinian officials said she died of her injury.
The West Bank, among territories where Palestinians seek statehood, has seen simmering street violence since U.S.-sponsored peace talks with Israel broke down in 2014.
Video obtained by Reuters showed men with rifles confronting a woman. A shot is heard and she collapses, dropping something from her hand. One of the men then kicks the item out of reach.
An Israeli police spokesman said on Twitter that a "female terrorist attempted to carry out (a) stabbing attack" at Qalandia checkpoint. He posted a picture of a knife on asphalt.
The Palestinian health ministry said a woman shot at Qalandia had died. Palestinian officials did not immediately provide further details on her.
(Production: Mohammad Torkman, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material