- Title: Millions take part in Mexico City earthquake drill
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) TALL BUILDINGS NEAR MAIN ROADS SEISMIC ALARM SOUNDING ON LOUD SPEAKERS MAC STORE ON CORNER OF STREET VARIOUS OF OFFICE WORKERS EVACUATING BUILDING DURING DRILL OFFICE WORKERS EVACUATING BUILDING CONSTRUCTION WORKERS EVACUATING, WALKING IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) OFFICE WORKER TAKING PART IN DRILL, PABLO TREVINO, SAYING: "I took part in the drill that day too (Sept. 19, 2017) and somehow it helped because when the quake hit, an hour later, at about 1:15 pm more or less, people already knew what they had to do. So these drills have to be done so that people learn what to do in case of a quake." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN STREET DURING DRILL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE EVACUATING BUILDINGS FIRE-FIGHTERS ON DUTY DURING DRILL PARAMEDICS CHECKING PRESSURE OF WOMAN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BRIGADE MEMBER, RAFAEL MARTINEZ, SAYING: "People are more conscience. Before the 2017 quake, people did not take many drills and efforts seriously. The 2017 quake was a watershed to help people assess the damage we are faced with in an emergency. I think that conscience should take on more importance because we feel there are still a lot of buildings which have been affected, many did not collapse, they only had minor repairs but in case of a larger quake they could collapse." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON THE STREET ANGEL OF INDEPENDENCE MONUMENT
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 21:44
- Keywords: 2017 drill 1985 earthquake Mexico City earthquake evacuate
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001AXBRRRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Millions of residents of Mexico City evacuated homes and buildings for an emergency earthquake drill on Thursday (September 19), a date which also marks the anniversary of the 2017 and 1985 quakes that killed thousands.
Authorities activated quake alarms in Mexico City and office workers began carrying out practice runs for emergency evacuations of buildings. The timing of the drill brought back traumatic memories for many city residents, including children who were at school when the 2017 quake struck.
Even before the disaster two years ago, another anniversary on the same date had been engraved in the minds of older residents of the capital, who remembered a massive earthquake that killed thousands of people in 1985.
The 7.1 magnitude quake hit central Mexico in 2017 hours after a memorial evacuation drill. It killed 370 people, most of them in the capital. Tens of thousands of buildings were damaged, and dozens died as a school and offices collapsed.
The tremor shook the country just 12 days after a separate, more powerful earthquake struck off the southwest coast of the country, killing about 100 people.
(Production: Carlos Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None