- Title: Team Europe looks to continue its Laver Cup dominance as third tournament nears
- Date: 18th September 2019
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) LAVER CUP WORLD AND EUROPE TENNIS PLAYERS OUTSIDE, ON PALAIS EYNARD STAIRS DURING WELCOMING CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2019 16:23
- Keywords: John Isner preview John McEnroe Laver Cup Bjorn Borg Rod Laver Roger Federer Nick Kyrgios Rafael Nadal
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6R1VJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Swiss city of Geneva welcomed some of the best male tennis players in the world on Wednesday (September 18) two days ahead of the start of the third edition of the Laver Cup.
The tournament, a three-day team event between Europe and the rest of the world, became an official part of the ATP Tour in May this year following its runaway success in its first two editions in Prague and Chicago.
Federer, one of the instigators of the team event who hails from the Swiss city Basel, said he was happy to see the tournament played in his native Switzerland. He will play alongside his rival and friend Rafael Nadal who just won the U.S. Open.
Former U.S. player John McEnroe, a seven-times Grand Slam singles champion, captains Team World while Team Europe are led by his former rival and 11-times Grand Slam Swedish champion Bjorn Borg.
Team Europe have won both previous editions and are solid favourites to make it a hat-trick, leaving American John Isner to plead with the Geneva crowd to show some love and support for the underdogs.
The event, named after Australian great Rod Laver, who won 11 Grand Slams between 1960 and 1969, drew sellout crowds last year as a number of top-ranked players such as Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic took part with the Europeans winning 13-8.
(Production: Marina Depetris, Cecile Mantovani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.