- Title: Trump sues Manhattan district attorney Vance over subpoenas
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 16, 2015) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** THEN-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE DONALD TRUMP AND HIS WIFE MELANIA RIDING ESCALATOR TO ANNOUNCE CANDIDACY
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 19:25
- Keywords: Trump Cyrus Vance Mazars Jey Sekulow Trump tax returns
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / BIARRITZ, FRANCE
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / BIARRITZ, FRANCE
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA002AXBR4UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump sued Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance on Thursday (September 19) over subpoenas issued by the state prosecutor's office.
A copy of the complaint filed in Manhattan federal court was not immediately available in online records, and Vance's office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Three days earlier, the New York Times said Vance's office had subpoenaed Trump's longtime accounting firm Mazars for eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns, citing several people with knowledge of the matter.
The president has refused to disclose his tax returns, after promising during his 2016 White House run that he would.
Jay Sekulow, a lawyer for Trump, said in a statement that the lawsuit was filed "in response to the subpoenas issued by the New York County District Attorney," to address "the significant constitutional issues at stake in this case."
Mazars was also named as a defendant in Trump's lawsuit on Thursday.
(Production: Angela Moore)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.