- Title: German prosecutors probe Airbus for potential misuse of client documents
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: BAD STAFFELSTEIN, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) GERMAN DEFENCE MINISTER AND CDU LEADER ANNEGRET KRAMP-KARRENBAUER ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE AT EVENT OF CSU, HER CDU'S SISTER PARTY CAMERA VARIOUS OF KRAMP-KARRENBAUER SPEAKING PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PICTURES KRAMP-KARRENBAUER SPEAKING REPORTER'S LAPTOP (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN DEFENCE MINISTER, ANNEGRET KRAMP-KARRENBAUER, SAYING: "My information is that the defence ministry was informed by Airbus on September 17 on the issue and the suspicious cases. Since then our own investigation in the Bundeswehr (German army) is ongoing. We are closely cooperating with the state prosecutors in charge. But so far I have no information. All I can say is that the investigation has started."
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 14:56
- Keywords: Airbus espionage German army Bundeswehr
- Location: BAD STAFFELSTEIN, GERMANY / HAMBURG, GERMANY
- City: BAD STAFFELSTEIN, GERMANY / HAMBURG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001AXBNZUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Munich prosecutors said on Wednesday they had launched a probe against Airbus after the company notified the authorities about potential irregularities involving customer documents.
Airbus confirmed that it had informed prosecutors that some employees may have treated customer documents in an illegal manner.
The documents are related to two German procurement deals involving programme line communications, intelligence and security, Airbus said.
Airbus turned to the authorities after launching an internal probe with the help of an independent law firm.
Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer told reporters that Airbus had contacted the German army on September 17 about "suspicious cases" and that an investigation was ongoing.
"The company fully supports the relevant authorities with their investigation," Airbus said in a written statement.
(Production: Marko Cubrilo, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None