- Title: Thousands rally and march in Sydney for climate change protest
- Date: 20th September 2019
- Summary: PROTESTERS HOLDING PLACARDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) SYDNEY RESIDENT AND I.T, WORKER, NICOLE, SAYING: "This isn't a fringe movement, this isn't a greeny issue, this isn't a lefty issue. This is a human issue and it's terrific to see all these everyday normal workers, students, mums, dads, kids, babies here supporting the strike." PROTESTERS MARCHING HOLDING PLACARDS
- Embargoed: 4th October 2019 08:46
- Keywords: climate change Australia strike march Sydney school students domain UN Climate Action Summit
- Location: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- City: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003AXGNXAF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of students and protesters took to the streets of Sydney on Friday (September 20) to kick off a global strike demanding world leaders gathering for a UN Climate Action Summit adopt urgent measures to stop an environmental catastrophe.
Protesters gathered in the Domain and marched through the centre of Sydney to Hyde Park chanting slogans and holding placards.
Similar protests, inspired by 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, are planned in some 150 countries on Friday. The aim is for students and others from around the world to speak in one voice about the impending effects of climate change on the planet.
The strike will culminate in New York when Thunberg, who has been nominated for a Nobel prize for her climate activism, will spearhead a rally at home of the United Nations headquarters.
(Production: James Redmayne)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None