- Title: Belgian F-16 crashes in France, pilots safe - Belgian Air Force
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: CHIAYI, TAIWAN (FILE - JANUARY 26, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF F16 JETS LEAVING HANGAR (MUTE) VARIOUS OF F16 FIGHTER JETS TAKING OFF
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 14:55
- Keywords: Crash fighter jet Belgian Air Force accident F-16 jets France
- Location: PLUVIGNER, FRANCE / INTERNET / CHIAYI, TAIWAN
- City: PLUVIGNER, FRANCE / INTERNET / CHIAYI, TAIWAN
- Country: France
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA004AXBQREV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Belgian F-16 fighter jet crashed near the town of Lorient in northwestern France on Thursday (September 19), the Belgian Air Force said.
Both pilots ejected from the aircraft, the air force said on Twitter.
The fighter jet ripped off part of the roof of a house before crashing, an official at the regional police headquarters told Reuters.
Emergency services rescued one of the pilots. The second was initially suspended on a high-voltage line by his parachute.
Local newspaper Le Telegramme said a team from Enedis, which manages the electricity grid in France, had brought him down safely.
The F-16 jet took off from the Florennes air base near Namur in Belgium and was going to the Lann-BihouÃ© aeronautical base in Morbihan. The aircraft was not armed.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None