- Title: Soaked in Dead Sea mud, medical tourists hope to find recovery
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: CHAIRS IN SALT ROOM SALT ON TABLE
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 13:13
- Keywords: Dead Sea Dead Sea mud Dead Sea salt Dead Sea medical centre Dead Sea treatment
- Location: DEAD SEA, SWEIMEH, JORDAN
- City: DEAD SEA, SWEIMEH, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA004AXBOAXH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Dead Sea may be a body of water so salty that it poisons anyone who drinks it, but its shores in Jordan are still attracting visitors who come for the therapeutic properties associated with its mineral-rich waters and mud.
As a solution to his skin condition, Gustav Edthofer's doctor suggested that he goes to the Dead Sea for treatment.
Edthofer's visited the Dead Sea last year and the treatment went very well, so he went back this year.
Edthofer, who comes from Austria, is one of a growing number of tourists who travel from around the world to Jordan's Dead Sea Medical Centre, which has been running for 29 years.
The centre, which has become a medical tourism destination over the years, features private treatment rooms and a saltwater swimming pool for skin conditions and joint disorders.
While many come to the Dead Sea as medical tourists, other visitors just come to coat in its mud and float in the salty water, which is around 10 times saltier than the regular sea.
The Dead Sea, about 425 metres (1,400 feet) below sea level, is bordered by Israel, Jordan and the occupied West Bank.
Resort hotels have been built along the Israeli and Jordanian shores.
(Production: Muath Freij and Mohammad al-Ramahi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.