- Title: Hong Kong students form human chain to support protests
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) STUDENT PLAYING HONG KONG ANTHEM ON VIOLIN, STUDENT PROTESTERS HOLDING HANDS IN HUMAN CHAIN
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 16:17
- Keywords: Hong Kong secondary school students student protest human chain
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AXBN3GN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Hong Kong secondary school students joined hands to form a human chain in protest "for freedom" on Thursday (September 19).
The students from different schools, joined by a number of locals of different ages, chanted and sang songs as they slowly formed a full circle human chain between two bridges on the Shing Mun river in Hong Kong's Sha Tin district.
Some carried protest placards including one calling for protesters to "add oil" (a Chinese term of encouragement for someone to keep going and fight on). Many of the participants wore masks and some told Reuters this was to conceal their identity as their parents did not know they were taking part.
This is the latest in a number of human chain protests that have taken place across Hong Kong including one a day earlier that brought together fans from rival soccer teams.
Hong Kong has been rocked by protests for the past several months.
(Production: Tommy Ardiansyah, Martin Pollard, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.