- Title: Thousands gather for climate change march in Australia
- Date: 20th September 2019
- Summary: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA (SEPTEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING 'WE CAME TO PROTECT OUR KIDS' FUTURES'
- Embargoed: 4th October 2019 04:12
- Keywords: climate change Australia strike march Sydney
- Location: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- City: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AXGMREV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of school students walked out of their classrooms and onto Sydney streets on Friday (September 20) to kick off a global strike demanding world leaders gathering for a UN Climate Action Summit adopt urgent measures to stop an environmental catastrophe.
Protesters marched into the Domain, in Sydney's central business district, carrying handmade signs and chanting for climate policy change.
Similar protests, inspired by the 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, are planned in some 150 countries on Friday. The aim is for students and others from around the
world to speak in one voice about the impending effects of climate change on the planet.
The strike will culminate in New York when Thunberg, who has been nominated for a Nobel prize for her climate activism, will spearhead a march at the home of the United
(Production: Stefica Nicol Bikes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None