- Title: Chinese customers bemoan absence of 5G function as iPhone 11 hits stores
- Date: 20th September 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) CUSTOMERS CHECKING OUT IPHONE 11'S CUSTOMER'S HANDS UNBOXING IPHONE 11 PRO CUSTOMER'S HAND TAKING IPHONE 11 PRO OUT OF BOX PROGRAMMER AND CUSTOMER MR.LIU, CHECKING OUT HIS NEW IPHONE 11 PRO IPHONE 11'S ON DISPLAY CUSTOMERS LOOKING AT IPHONE 11'S (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) PROGRAMMER AND CUSTOMER MR.LIU, SAYING: "I think the most important function is the camera. Originally I was thinking about buying a camera, but now I don't need to buy one because I can take photos with this phone." REPORTER ASKING: "WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT THE CAMERA?" "Because it now has three lenses, and I think when it comes to taking photos, it's better for night shots and the image is clearer, so I think it's more convenient for us to take the phone out to take pictures." IPHONE 11'S ON DISPLAY CUSTOMERS ENTERING APPLE STORE/STAFF CUSTOMER LOOKING AT IPHONE 11'S (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 33-YEAR-OLD CIVIL SERVANT AND CUSTOMER, LIU LIU, SAYING: "That's definitely for sure (that Apple will lose the market). I think by the end of next year, especially in big cities like Beijing, 5G will be commonplace. I think Apple will probably have 5G by next year. If they don't research this then they'll lag way behind. They don't have it this year because the work needed to make the 5G function (for the phone) cannot be done in one or two days, and they didn't expect China's 5G technology to grow so quickly. " CUSTOMER PICKING UP IPHONE 11 PURCHASE 42-YEAR-OLD CIVIL SERVANT AND CUSTOMER, CHEN KE, CHECKING OUT HIS NEW IPHONE 11 PRO STAFF'S HANDS TYPING ON IPHONE 11 PRO (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 42-YEAR-OLD CIVIL SERVANT AND CUSTOMER, CHEN KE, SAYING: "I would seriously consider it. I would consider possibly buying another phone with 5G technology (if Apple doesn't have 5G by next year). Yeah, I might consider that." CUSTOMER LEAVING WITH FOUR IPHONES
- Embargoed: 4th October 2019 06:28
- Keywords: iPhone Apple 5G China Market telecom smart phone
- Location: SHANGHAI/BEIJING, CHINA
- City: SHANGHAI/BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA003AXGMVD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The new iPhone 11 series hit stores in China on Friday (September 20) among worries from fans that Apple may lose China's market for missing out on 5G technology.
The latest iPhone, featuring a three-lens camera as one of its new major functions, was unveiled on September 10 after one of its biggest competitors Huawei, a Chinese phone and telecom equipment maker, rolled out its first 5G phone two months ago. The model is slightly cheaper than its predecessors, a rare move for Apple.
"That's definitely for sure (that Apple will lose the market). I think by the end of next year, especially in big cities like Beijing, 5G will be commonplace," said Apple customer Liu Liu, 33.
Apple has yet to set a date to launch a 5G phone but fans worry that if the California-based phone giant can't put out new 5G phone next year it may lose China's market.
(Production: Thomas Suen, Jiang Xihao)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None