- Title: Afghan drone strike victims treated in hospital
- Date: 20th September 2019
- Summary: WOUNDED MAN LYING DOWN IN HOSPITAL BED WITH BANDAGED HEAD BANDAGED ARM OF WOUNDED MAN
- Embargoed: 4th October 2019 15:46
- Keywords: Afghanistan U.S. drone stirke hospital workers still missing
- Location: JALALABAD, NANGARHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- City: JALALABAD, NANGARHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002AXGQV5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Survivors of a deadly U.S. drone strike in Afghanistan's in eastern Nangarhar province received treatment at a Jalalabad hospital on Friday (September 20).
The attack occurred in early hours of Thursday (September 19) in Wazir Tangi area of the province, causing high civilian casualties. Provincial Afghan officials on Friday said 32 men and children were killed and more than 40 were injured in the strike.
U.S. officials said the strike was conducted solely to target IS fighters in a densely forested area that is not inhabited by locals but offers a high yield of pine nuts to villagers residing on the edge of the forest.
Javed, a survivor of the attack recovering in the Nangarhar Regional Hospital, said it was his second night in the forest when a drone struck his temporary shelter.
"Many people were injured," he said.
The Taliban have been carrying out nearly daily attacks since the collapse of peace talks with the United States this month, in the run-up to elections on Sept. 28 to dissuade people from voting.
(Production: Mohammad Rafiq, Mohammad Rafiq)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material