- Title: Traditional costumes delight at Oktoberfest parade
- Date: 22nd September 2019
- Summary: MUSICIANS PLAYING VARIOUS OF MUSICIANS PLAYING
- Embargoed: 6th October 2019 12:36
- Keywords: Oktoberfest Oktoberfest parade beer festival Munich O'zapt ist lederhosen Theresienwiese
- Location: MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA008AXQNYHL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of proud Bavarians wore their finest traditional clothes on Sunday (September 22) for the annual Oktoberfest traditional costume parade in Munich.
Always held on the second day of the world's largest beer festival, the parade is a chance for the locals to show off their best Bavarian costumes, or what's known in German as tracht.
As is the custom, men wore lederhosen, or leather trousers, which are either short- or knee-length, often with a checkered shirt, high woolly socks and a hat with a feather, sometimes known as a Tyrolean or Alpine hat, from where it originated.
Women wear dirndl corseted dresses, characterised by their bright colours and fine detailing, as well as a lace-up front and apron. Traditionally if the apron bow is tied to the left, it means a lady is single, but on the right means she's taken.
Oktoberfest has its origins in a horse race that took place in 1810 to celebrate the wedding of Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen.
The public festivities on the Theresienwiese open ground - named after the bride - became more elaborate as time went on, with stalls and amusement rises and it gradually turned into a folk festival.
Brass bands and drummers in vibrantly coloured outfits played upbeat oompah, while a falcon, horse-drawn carriage carrying kegs and hunting animals adding to the spectacle.
The 186th edition of Oktoberfest ends on October 6.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.