- Title: Baby with rare skin condition arrives in Russia for treatment
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOTHER OF LUNA FENNER, CAROL FENNER, SAYING: "Everyday a lot of people called me and like "Carol don't go there, they are not good" or "I never heard something about that doctor". So they are calling me "crazy nuts" and I just decided to take a shot."
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 17:22
- Keywords: Luna Fenner skin condition Fenner face skin medical operation Carol Fenner flies to Russia surgeon
- Location: MOSCOW AND KRASNODAR, RUSSIA / IN AIR / FLORIDA, UNITED STATES /
- City: MOSCOW AND KRASNODAR, RUSSIA / IN AIR / FLORIDA, UNITED STATES /
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA005AY5OXFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Carol Fenner and her daughter Luna arrived on Wednesday (September 25) in Russia where Luna is expected to undergo several surgeries to improve the condition of her facial skin.
Six-month-old Luna was born with congenital melanocytic nevus, the disorder which causes abnormally dark blemishes and is associated with higher risks of developing skin cancer.
Carol says she faced lots of negativity towards Luna over the Internet which made her think about how her daughter would be perceived later in life.
Carol Fenner, together with her husband took their daughter to several medical experts in the U.S., but the treatment course Carol was proposed would take several years and cost around 400,000 USD, Carol told Reuters TV on Wednesday.
After the story of Luna Fenner gained media attention, Carol was contacted by the Russian doctor living in Kransodar region, Pavel Popov, who specialises in skin disorders.
Popov told Fenner that his methods would require less time and be more gentle towards sensitive baby's facial skin. After some thinking Carol Fenner decided to take this unusual step and fly thousands of kilometres to give her daughter better chances to improve her condition.
Luna is expected to undergo six to eight surgeries, each costing around 25,000 USD. The full course of treatment would take up to 18 months, Carol was told by the Russian doctors.
Several months ago Carol and her husband started a fund-raising campaign to cover their medical expenses. So far they have managed to gather around 40,000 USD.
Luna Fenner will meet Popov for her first examination on October 1.
(Production: Dmitry Turlyun / Sergei Pivovarov)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None