- Title: First commercial flights from Beijing's new $63 bln airport take off
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) FIRST FLIGHT (CHINA SOUTHERN AIRLINE) TAKING OFF FROM BEIJING'S NEW DAXING AIRPORT VARIOUS OF AIR CHINA PLANE TAXIING PLANE PARKED PLANES PARKED AT THE TERMINAL CARS RUNNING AT THE AIRPORT TRADITIONAL CHINESE STYLED BUILDING AT THE AIRPORT VARIOUS OF TRADITIONAL CHINESE STYLED BUILDINGS PEOPLE WALKING IN THE SWANKY NEW TERMINAL CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG HANGING IN THE TERMINAL PEOPLE WALKING/WORKERS CLEANING NOTICE BOARD, SIGN READING (International Departures. HK/Macao/Taiwan Departure) CHECK-IN COUNTER WITH ALPHABET 'D' WRITTEN ON TOP PEOPLE WALKING STAFF AT THE RECEPTION DESK PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN THE SWANKY NEW AIRPORT TERMINAL PEOPLE WALKING PAST SELF CHECK-IN MACHINE SOLDIERS PATROLLING PEOPLE WALKING MORE OF AIRPORT TERMINAL PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH CUSTOMS SIGN READING (Chinese): "China Customs" BODY TEMPERATURE DETECTOR VARIOUS OF SECURITY CHECK TRAVELATOR IN AIRPORT AIRPORT DEPARTURE HALL VARIOUS OF INTERIOR OF AIRPORT TERMINAL DEPARTURE HALL MORE OF AIRPORT TERMINAL/TRAVELATOR/CHAIRS PEOPLE WALKING SOLDIERS PATROLLING WORKER CLEANING COUNTER AIRPORT TERMINAL
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 11:14
- Keywords: China Beijing Daxing Airport planes first flight first take off $63 billion airport
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY5LT8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The first commercial flights from Beijing's new Daxing International airport took off on Wednesday (September 25) - an airport that cost $63 billion to build, is roughly the size of 100 football fields and is expected to become one of the world's busiest.
The airport boasts four runways and is expected to handle up to 72 million passengers a year by 2025, eventually reaching 100 million.
A China Southern Airlines Airbus A380 flight to Guangzhou in the country's south was the first to fly out.
China is forecast to overtake the United States as the world's largest aviation market by 2022. Daxing, located south of Beijing, will help ease pressure on Capital International Airport in the city's northeast, where capacity constraints often cause flight delays.
China Southern Airlines and China Eastern Airlines will be the main domestic carriers at Daxing. About 50 foreign airlines, including British Airways and Finnair, plan to move all or part of their operations in the next few quarters.
The relocation of all airlines is due to be completed by the winter of 2021.
With the opening of Daxing, Beijing Nanyuan Airport, China's oldest airport, will cease operations from Thursday (September 26).
(Production: Thomas Suen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None