- Title: Burials for victims begin as death toll mounts in Pakistan earthquake
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: JATLAN, MIRPUR DISTRICT, AZAD (PAKISTAN-ADMINISTERED) KASHMIR (SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING AT CRACKED ROAD MOTORCYCLISTS RIDING THROUGH UNDAMAGED PART OF ROAD VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING COLLAPSED PART OF HOUSE MAN STANDING AMID DEBRIS DEBRIS FROM COLLAPSED PART OF HOUSE CRACKS ON HOUSE VARIOUS OF MOHAMMAD HAMEED, MOURNING THE DEATH OF HIS SISTER, WHO WAS KILLED DURING THE EARTHQUAKE BLOOD IN WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) MOHAMMAD HAMEED, WHOSE SISTER WAS KILLED DURING THE EARTHQUAKE, SAYING: "I received a call from my father saying that 'an earthquake has hit the area and the young girl has received severe injuries. She had excessive bleeding from her head. Her head was hit by a collapsing wall'. My father was with her at that time. There was a lot of screaming and people rushed to help but the wall was very big. Very soon she succumbed to her wounds and departed from us." VARIOUS OF MEN CRYING AND COMFORTING EACH OTHER VARIOUS OF WOMEN MOURNING THE DEATH OF TWO AND HALF YEAR-OLD MOHAMMAD BILAL SAJID, WHO WAS KILLED IN EARTHQUAKE
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 09:51
- Keywords: Pakistan earthquake Kashmir death toll burials Jatlan Azad disasters
- Location: JATLAN, MIRPUR DISTRICT, AZAD, KASHMIR, PAKISTAN
- City: JATLAN, MIRPUR DISTRICT, AZAD, KASHMIR, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY5M153
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The death toll has risen to at least 25 people from an earthquake that struck Pakistani Kashmir, officials said on Wednesday (September 25), as residents mourned their dead and rescue work continued.
Tuesday's (September 24) earthquake leveled homes and shops and split open roads in an area between the towns of Jhelum and Mirpur to the north, part of which is in Pakistan's portion of the disputed territory of Kashmir.
In a town in Mirpur district, more than 200 people gathered to attend the funeral of a child who was killed in the earthquake. Women grieved around the bed where the child's body lay covered in a blanket.
Many people from the area slept outdoors overnight and some were returning home on Wednesday to collect belongings and inspect damage.
(Production: Salah Uddin, Shahabuddin Shahab)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None